By the third month of a baby’s life, you would realize an obvious growth/or change. The baby changes from ‘a sleeping and eating baby’ to a ‘playful and responsive baby’.Michigan Medicine,University of Michigan defines developmental milestones as ‘a set of functional skills or age-specific tasks that most children can do at a certain age range.’ Rolling over,crawling and walking are all considered milestones. By the third month most babies show the following milestones:
- They are able to raise their heads when lying on their stomach.
- Unlike the first month when they keep a fist, they open and close their palms this time.
- Now, they are able to bring their hands to their mouths.
- They are able to grab and shake a rattle.
- They can Identify objects and people.
- They enjoy being played with.
- They turn towards the direction of the sounds they hear.
NB: You should visit the pediatrician if your baby is not exhibiting the milestones mentioned above. However, every child has his/her unique developmental pace.
There are some cautions that parents and caregivers should observe to avoid any disabilities and its related problems. Below are some of the cautions
- When bathing for a them at this stage, you need to be careful not to allow water to enter his/her nostril or ears cos they are quite active in this month.
- Handle them with care because they are sensitive and their bones are not so strong as adults at this stage.
- Do not shake your baby. Shaking a baby can affect the brain of the baby.
- Respond to their cries even if it is frequent because crying is one of the ways it is their way of communicating. The cry of a baby could sometimes mean his/her diaper is wet or even he or she is experiencing separation anxiety.Separation anxiety basically refers to the anxiety that babies feel when their parents or caregiver are away from them for sometime.
- Always wash your hands before carrying your baby because babies are easily infected.