Some women have died during childbirth. Others have had lifetime complications as a result of childbirth. Generally, childbirth has been known to be excessively painful and due to this, some pregnant women get so anxious about labor. Apparently, the population of labor- scared people goes beyond even the pregnant ones.
Labor varies from woman to woman and even from pregnancy to pregnancy. However, it is realistically a hard work to do.The excessive pain is mainly due to the contractions of the uterus. Another reason why women experience excessive pains during labor is the fact they are scared. When fear grips the mind, the whole body is affected. Because they are not able to breathe deeply, the whole body becomes tight and is not able to push very well for the baby to come out. It is very necessary for pregnant women to psyche themselves against the fears of labor to reduce the pain during labor.
A woman’s body is designed to withstand pains during labor so it is possible to give birth without experiencing the level of imaginary pains from the horrific stories that have been heard. To be able to naturally manage the pains of labor, there are some basic remedies to help.
- Massage helps manage pains during labor.Usually, the back aches badly during labor but having someone massage the back stimulates the body to naturally reduce the pain a bit.
- Breathing helps to manage pains during labor. However, it’s important to breathe deeply, repeatedly and through the mouth as well.
- Giving birth in a water pool relaxes the body against excessive pains. In Ghana, the water birth system is being adopted but it is not so common in a lot of hospitals.
- Creating a good environment helps ease pains. A good environment in this situation means an environment that would make giving birth quite comfortable. If delivery would be in the hospital, it would be helpful to bring some items from home to make the delivery room familiar and personal. Soothing music can also be used in the labor room to switch the mind from pain to relaxation. That if this can be done.
- Positioning the body rightly is a way of managing pains during delivery. For some women, lying down is comfortable for them but sitting in a slanted position is known to be very good because it puts the uterus in a good position for contraction. Since it is the contractions of the uterus that causes pain, a good position of it helps to ease labor pains to some extent.
- Lastly, midwives and nurses should give positive motivation and words to all pregnant women when they are attending to them. I remember one midwife shouted on me when I was about to take my tetanus vaccination when I was pregnant. She said if you can not take this injection then how will you give birth. The labor pain is not child’s play. Midwives and nurses are supposed to be encouraging us not adding salt to injury.
Even though childbirth is painful, the natural remedies specified above help to ease the pains. There is no point in getting scared about labor. Yes, it is an extremely hard work to do but others have been able to do it. Hence, it is possible for pregnant women to give birth safely and naturally.