The milestones of a baby in the second month is not obviously different from the first month.Medlineplus simply defines developmental milestones as ‘behaviors or physical skills seen in infants and children as they grow and develop’. Rolling over,crawling and walking are all considered milestones. In the second month, most babies
- coo and gurgle
- begin to get used to the voice of the mother or caregiver.
- give nice smiles
- try to hold rattles for sometime
- are able to turn their eyes towards you
- may not be able to sleep continuously through the night.They are likely to wake up at midnight
NB: You should visit the pediatrician if your baby is not exhibiting the milestones mentioned above. However, every child has his/her unique developmental pace.
There are some cautions that parents and caregivers should observe to enhance to avoid any disabilities and its related problems. Below are some of the cautions:
- Handle them with care because they are sensitive and their bones are not so strong as adults at this stage.
- Respond to their cries even if it is frequent because crying is one of their notable ways of communicating. The cry of a baby could sometimes mean his/her diaper is wet or even he or she is experiencing separation anxiety. Separation anxiety basically refers to the loneliness that babies feel when their parents or caregivers are away from them for sometime.
- Always wash your hands before carrying your baby. Babies are easily infected.