The fourth month of a baby’s life is interesting because the baby is quite active in this month. Michigan Medicine,University of Michigan defines developmental milestones as ‘a set of functional skills or age-specific tasks that most children can do at a certain age range.’ Rolling over,crawling and walking are all considered milestones. By the fourth month,most babies exhibit the following milestones:
- Most babies are able to move their hands to their mouths.
- They can roll over
- They can firmly grip a toy and shake the toy
- Can lift his/her head when it is not supported
- Critically watches faces to identify people
- They are likely to put everything they pick into their mouth
- Their vision become clearer than it was in the previous month
NB: You should visit the pediatrician if your baby is not exhibiting the behaviours mentioned above. However, every child has his/her unique developmental pace.
There are some cautions that parents and caregivers should observe to avoid any disability and its related problems. Below are some of the cautions
- Always monitor your baby when she is sleeping because he/she can fall off when rolling over.
- Handle them with care because they are sensitive and their bones are not so strong as that of adults at this stage.
- Do not shake your baby. Shaking a baby can make the brain shake. When the brain shakes the blood vessels can tear, leading to brain damage.
- Respond to their cries even if it is frequent because crying is a way of communicating. The cry of a baby could sometimes mean his/her diaper is wet, he/she is feeling warm or even he/she is experiencing separation anxiety. Separation anxiety basically refers to the loneliness that babies feel when their parents or caregivers are away from them for sometime.
- Always wash your hands before carrying your baby because babies are easily infected.