The fifth month of a baby’s life is interesting because the baby is quite active in this month. Michigan Medicine,University of Michigan defines developmental milestones as ‘a set of functional skills or age-specific tasks that most children can do at a certain age range.’ Rolling over,crawling and walking are all considered milestones. By the fifth month,most babies reach the following milestones:
- They make attempts to sit at this stage/They can sit upright for some few minutes.
- They are able to roll from front to back and back to front.
- Has a social smile.
- They sleep throughout the night.
- The baby is able to recognize people from afar.
- Still pays critical attention to faces.
- Can lie on his stomach and lift his head up high without any support.
You should visit the pediatrician if your baby is not exhibiting the milestones mentioned above. However, every child has his/her unique developmental pace.
There are some cautions that parents and caregivers should observe to avoid any disability and its related problems. Below are some of the cautions:
- Open your baby’s legs when they are sitting. It will help them be balanced
- Always monitor your baby when she is sleeping because he/she can fall off when rolling over.
- Do not shake your baby. Shaking a baby can make the brain shake. When the brain shakes the blood vessels can tear, leading to brain damage.